Who is Calvin Allen?
Calvin is a C# / .NET Engineer at New Relic, Inc., where he works on CodeStream. He is a Microsoft MVP in Developer Technologies, host of the .NET Bytes podcast, occasional live streamer on Twitch, video creator on YouTube, a GitKraken Ambassador, and social media assistant for the yearly C# Advent.
Creating and maintaining software is his passion, and he takes a lot of pride in his work. He likes to keep up to date on the latest developments in the industry and tries to play a role in the community as much as he can.
Outside of the office, he’s likely spending time with his wife and daughter or woodworking in his garage (and perhaps posting about it on Instagram and Facebook or videoing it for his other YouTube channel).
- Is CodeLens Enabled?How can you determine, in your own Visual Studio extension, if a global Visual Studio setting is turned on or not? Read on to find out!
- Adding a CLA Bot to Your GitHub RepositoryToday, I spent a little bit of time figuring out how to get a proper CLA bot attached to some GitHub repositories. Gotta tell ya, it wasn’t that hard, but I wanted to blog it anyway so I can refer back when I have to do it again in 5 […]
- Extending Visual Studio CodeLens FunctionalityIf you have your own Visual Studio extension, and you want to add your own custom CodeLens entries – I’m here to help, because I just (finally!) figured out how to do this (plus a few extras!) First, let me start by saying that I’ve only “proven” this method with […]
- Opening an SSH Tunnel in an Azure DevOps PipelineI needed to be able to open an SSH tunnel in one of my Azure pipelines recently to get access to some databases hosted in AWS for running various integration tests. I knew it had to be possible, as other applications are able to open tunnels. The one item that […]
- Uploading Files with HttpClient in .NET 6The Problem I recently needed to figure out a way to send files to a third-party “document manager” system using HttpClient in .NET 6.0. This “document manager” system already had an API for uploading files, which we had previously gotten working in our teams Postman collection. Before we dive in, […]
- What’s the Difference Anyway?! Class, Struct, Record, oh my!This blog post is part of the 2021 C# Advent Calendar (the fifth year!). Please check out all of the other awesome posts in this year’s C# Advent. You keep hearing about the record type in C# these days, and keep thinking to yourself, “how are those different from just a regular […]